Union City Pride Façade Improvement and Interior/Structural Improvement Grant Program
Application Period Opened: 9/16/2022
The Union City Pride Façade Improvement and Interior/Structural Improvement Grant Program seeks to assist commercial property owners and/or business owners (with property owner permission) to restore facades of downtown buildings, rehabilitate, restore, or preserve historic resources in order to enhance the appearance of the central business district. The purpose of the Façade Improvement and Interior/Structural Improvement Grant Program is:
- to preserve the architectural heritage of the downtown and the historic district,
- to foster an attractive and safe environment,
- to stimulate private investment in the form of new development, redevelopment, and renovation that is consistent with the historic integrity of the downtown and the historic district,
- to foster civic pride and a sense of place, and
- to create a compelling image to increase commerce and profits, attract new businesses, retain existing businesses, attract all age groups, and encourage long-term commitments to the community.
Applicants may be required to meet with representatives of the Facade Committee prior to submitting an application and review project and budget details.
These façade grants will require a cash match of 25%. The maximum grant awarded will be $12,000.
Grants will be made on a reimbursement basis, following a process which includes application submittal, grant committee review and approval, and construction. Applicants will receive grant funds after completion of the approved façade improvement project, submission of digital jpeg project photographs, and copies of invoices, receipts, and proof of payment(s).
All projects must be completed within 10 months of grant award notification. Grant monies may not be used for permit fees, roofs, sidewalks, benches, trees, flowers, shrubs, or temporary signs. However, if a roof is part of the façade (such as a mansard roof), the portion of the roof that is visible from the street may be eligible and included in the grant award.
Applications will be accepted until all funding has been designated. They will be considered on a “first- come first-served basis”. Priority will be given to projects that meet all of the criteria and will have the greatest overall impact on the downtown and are listed in the recently completed Interior/Structural Assessment of the building. (If a property owner does not have access to the Interior/Structural Assessment prepared for their building, please contact the Borough to access a copy.)